Friday, February 29, 2008

A Tragic Passing

Imagine a ruin so strange it must have never happened. A ruin has many different meanings, such as an old building that has disintegrated or been destroy, a heartbreaking event, or the downfall of one's life. All of the meanings share one thing in common and that is that "ruin" is a sad or terrible event. When I think about a ruin so strange it must have never happened, I think about the death of one of my best friends' fathers.

Uncle Bryan was an incredible man, full of life and with an unbreakable spirit. He was always the life of the parties when I would head over to my best friends' house for one of her famous birthday parties. I have known this girl since Kindergarten, and she has been very close to me since about 5th grade when I had a huge crush on her. Our families met, and my father and her father hit it off one night at her house, and became best friends. They decided to accompany us for a Spring Break Vacation to my dad's resort on the Big Island, and it was a week that I still play over in my head often because it was so much fun. Our families became very close, and Uncle Bryan became somewhat of a role model for me. I loved his postive spirit and happiness that he carried with him everywhere he went. I never once saw him angry. He was always laughing and joking around, and it was obvious he loved his wife and only daughter very much. My dad liked him even more than I did, and they would get drunk together and laugh their butts off!

After that vacation, our families stayed close until I stopped liking her, and we didn't hang out as much anymore. I was still always invited to the parties though, and we always made time to catch up when seeing each other. My dad and her dad stayed best friends all the way until 2006, when a tragic event took place. Uncle Bryan woke up one Spring Break morning of 2006, walked into the kitchen to blend his morning smoothie, and a heart attack struck him. His daughter walked into the kitchen a short while after, and found him lying on the floor. Uncle Bryan died that Spring Break, at 50 years old, and to the suprise and horror of everyone who knew him. One of the happiest and most joyful families I have ever known, was split apart in an instant and he left a daughter and wife heartbroken and confused. She called me the morning it happened, and was crying on the phone. I didn't cry, because I knew I had to stay strong for her, but I couldn't believe what I was hearing. He was so happy. Why did this happen to him? He didn't deserve this. His family didn't deserve this. His friends didn't deserve to lose him. When I told my dad, he was crushed. I had never seen him cry in his entire life up to that point. A few friends and I went to their house to comfort our best friend in her time of sadness. We were all dumbstruck to arrive at their house, and not hearing Uncle Bryan's loud, booming voice cheering up everyone and making everyone feel happy.

Two years have passed, and spring break is coming up again now in 2008. Times have changed so much. Uncle Bryan's death has been so hard for his family, but they have come around and they have past their stage of extreme loneliness by sticking together and staying strong. His funeral was the saddest one I had ever been to, because I knew him so well. I couldn't imagine losing my father, and just the thought alone made me want to break down. Uncle Bryan remains in my memory everyday, and his joyous spirit will never be forgotten. I try my best to stay positive, not to feel sorry for myself, and try to make others feel happier just like Uncle Bryan always taught me. I still honestly can't believe that this tragic event occurred. I feel like it couldn't have really happened, and everytime I head over to my friend's house for a party, I know that Uncle Bryan is going to be there, laughing and spreading his aloha to everyone he spoke to. There wasn't a party there without Uncle Bryan, and there never will be.

6 comments:

Noah said...

James your paper really showed a diffrent view of the word ruin. Most people think of it as a place but not many think as a person. Good job. How do you think uncle Brian would like this?

Nick said...

Wow-In a literary sense, the details really helped strengthen this paper. I don't want to nitpick, but try to add more about how you feel in regard to Uncle Bryan's passing away, and how it feels how that he's gone. You said all the things I'd expect someone who's lost a friend to say, but try to add more specific feelings and details on how Uncle Bryan's death specifically impacts you.

playaplayaplayapiiiimpblog said...

"All of the meanings share one thing in common and that is that "ruin" is a sad or terrible event."
I LIKE YOUR PAPER IT WAS VERY INTERESTING, BUT WHAT ABOUT THE RUINS WE DON'T KNOW OF HOW THEY WERE CREATED LIKE THE STONE HEDGE WAS THAT A SAD OR TERRIBLE EVENT?

Kam said...

I loved your take on the quote. You took it in a different direction than most of us did. The paper flowed well, and it helped me actually feel like I was re-living it with you. I remember the day of the funeral, it was remarkable how we all came together as a grade to support one of our own. Excellent topic.

Ms. Davis said...

This is a very thoughtful, personal piece that is well organized with the full-circle move at the end (we are almost at spring break again).

Could you give more specifics about uncle Bryan so the reader can see him? Paint a picture of him so we can imagine the loss. The closest you get is the smoothies and the beers with your dad...more specifics please.

ryan said...

That was an interesting take on a ruin, but I think that it was a good one. I can't even imagine how it must feel to lose someone like that, gone just like that.