Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Little Eyes Upon You

Little Eyes Upon You

There are little eyes upon you, and they're watching night and day.
There are little ears that quickly take in every word you say.
There are little hands all eager to do anything you do;
And a little child who's dreaming to one day be just like you.
You're the little child's idol, the wisest of the wise.
In the child's mind about you, no suspicions ever rise.
Believing in you devoutly, holding all you say and do;
The child will say and do, in your way, after growing up like you.
There's a wide-eyed little child who believes you're always right;
With eyes that are always open, watching day and night.
You are setting an example everyday in all you do,
for the little child who's waiting to grow up to be like you.

-Author unkown

Thoughts about this poem:
This poem was given to me and my basketball teammates by our coach, Coach Kekoa. It was a great reminder that I am constantly being watched and looked up to by the younger kids at Punahou, who are dreaming of also becoming basketball players in our wonderful program. I need to be setting the best example I can for the young kids watching me, as well as my younger brother. I want to be a positive role model in my brother's life and I hope I can remember this poem next time I'm doing something wrong, to know that I have to change my behavior to make a positive impact on the "little eyes upon me."

No comments: