Monday, March 17, 2008
A wild dream
Early February means quite a number of things in Hawaii. Punahou Carnival, Super Bowl, and then the NFL All Star Game also known as the Pro Bowl all occur within the first two weeks of February. It's early this morning, and I'm up because my dad is taking my friend and I to the Pro Bowl! There is a lot of traffic always, and we want to go early so that we can get some autographs before the game from our favorite players. I go downstairs and my dad has McDonalds' sausage mcmuffins waiting on the table for me. He knows me too well. In the middle of breakfast, the doorbell rings and I rush to greet my friend at the door before my mom wakes up! My dad, friend and I jump in the car and head for the stadium. It's a really gloomy day outside. The skies are the darkest shade of gray I have ever seen. My dad notices the clouds seem to be assembling above the giant volcano. I am slightly scared, but I don't want to show it, and my excitement to meet the NFL stars wins me over and I decide that the volcano will never erupt. I convince myself that the clouds are always this grey, and turn the music up louder as if tuning out the grumbling earth beneath our car. Halfway out to the stadium however, things no longer look so good. The car starts rattling, and the ground beneath us is shaking heavily. My dad pulls over to the side of the road and stops. I strap my seatbelt on hard over myself, take deep breaths, and begin to pray that the earthquake stops. To my dismay, the earthquake only increases in strength and I can make out cracks in the road through the gaps in my fingers spread across my face. All of a sudden, BOOM! A rocket of lava lifts off from inside of the volcano and shoots out towards the heavens, an explosion of blazing fire that is stamped into my memory and forever engraved on my eyeballs. People everywhere blast open their car doors and sprint in every direction possible, screaming their heads off. My dad manages to yell over them to my friend and I that we should make a run for UH, because it's close and they have to have a safe place to hide their students in case of the emergency. I bust out of the car, and five minutes later my friend and I have lost my dad in the crowd and the race to safety. Lava is still lighting up the once grey sky, and raining down upon the city. The lava is coming towards us though...and fast. A tsunami of lava is eating up everything on the road, and burning down the greenest city on earth. My friend and I make it to UH at Manoa campus safely, but my dad is nowhere to be found as I constantly scan the crowds for his familiar face. Screaming his name at the top of my lungs, regretful thoughts creep into my head about how I never should have made my dad buy us Pro Bowl tickets, or made him drive us, because now he is in major trouble. His old body couldn't keep up with ours. Cops everywhere are pushing us back into classrooms and not letting us stay outside. Two cops come over by us and start forcing us back into a room. "No, wait my dad is out there! Stop! Find my dad!" I shout at them. "It's too late for your dad now! He's gone!" they yell as they pick me up and throw me into a room. "Wait," is my last screaming attempt and they slam the door in my face.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment